Creamy Tortellini Soup
It's soup season and I can think about is comforting food.
Join me and indulge in creamy tortellini soup.
3 Tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
6 cups vegetable broth
1 package (12 ounces) frozen tortellini
1 bag (5 ounces) fresh baby spinach
1 cup cream OR milk
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk in flour; whisk until crumbly.
- Slowly add broth and continue to vigorously whisk until everything is well combined and there are no clumps.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and heated through.
- Stir in cream or milk; bring back to a steady boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust accordingly.