Thursday, February 11, 2016

Blackberry Whisky Smash

I'm not really a drinker, you know this. But lately when I've been going home to see my parents and we got out to eat, my mom orders a lemon drop so I do too. I'll come home and see my mom making a pitcher of Sangria and I'll help myself to a glass. A few weeks ago I picked up this book on cocktails so now I have an interest in making drinks for the weekend. This sounds perfect for a spring cocktail.

       Ingredients
  • ¼ cup fresh blackberries
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • 6 fresh mint leaves
  • 2 teaspoons raw sugar
  • 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
  • 2 ounces wheat beer
  • For garnish: (optional)
  • Blackberries
  • Mint sprig
      Directions
  1. Muddle fresh blackberries, lemon juice, mint leaves and sugar in a highball glass. Stir in the whiskey. Add ice (crushed if possible) and top with wheat beer.
  2. If you’re feeling fancy, cut a wooden skewer so that it’s slightly taller than your glass. Thread 4-5 blackberries onto the skewer and add it to your cocktail along with a sprig of fresh mint.

(image and recipe)