Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Celebrating Girls



Since we celebrate women in history in the month of March, I'd like to focus on three young women in literature that shaped the person I am and what I learned from them. As a young girl I read the stories of Sara Crew, Mary Lennox and Madeline over and over and over. I loved the worlds their authors created; bringing gardens back to life, the power of imagination and confidence and the importance of seeking adventure. Their courage, their independence their curiosity all played a significant role as I was growing up.

"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us. Didn't your father ever tell you that? Didn't he."
-Sara Crew from The Little Princess written by Frances Hodgson Burnett

"To the tiger in the zoo, Madeline just said, pooh-pooh."

"I am sure there is magic in everything, only we have not sense enough to get hold of it and make it do things for us." -Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden written by Frances Hodgson Burnett 

(1,2,3)