Sunday, May 11, 2014

Jalapeno Mac and Cheese

When it comes to food, pasta is a serious weakness, especially a good macaroni and cheese. My first trip to the south was several years ago when I was a freshman in college. My brother was working on his PhD at Duke University in North Carolina and I jumped at the chance to go visit him instead of going home for spring break. Spring in the south, I'll take flowers in full bloom and plantation homes any day!!! Into the second day my brother picked me up on his lunch break and took me to this joint called The Q-Shack.  The only thing I have to say about The Q-Shack, it changed everything for me. I didn't know something could taste so good. My brother encouraged me to try the mac and cheese and it truly puts every mac and cheese out there to shame. To add a little kick and flavor, add jalapeno, voila a delicious treat! 

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked pasta, cooekd to all dente (not all the way soft, it will finishing cooking in oven.
1-2 large jalapenos, sliced (pick seeds out to reduce the heat of them)
1 cup shredded (1/2 pound block) Havarti Cream Jalapeno cheese
3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup heavy cream
bread crumbs, optional (Panko bread crumbs recommended)
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In medium size sauce pan on medium heat, melt butter. Add softened cream cheese and heavy cream. Whisk together until all blended and smooth. (Do not let it come to a boil.) Set aside and stir in the shredded cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour over al dente cooked pasta and sliced jalapenos. Stir until all combined.
Put in a baking dish.
Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top (Optional)
Bake for 20 minutes or until all golden on top.

(image and text via simply gloria)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...