Between reading endless articles about the infamous murdering duo Burke and Blake, watching a history special on Scotland and learning about potential travel plans that include working in a bookstore to pay for lodging somewhere in Scotland... I would do it in a heartbeat. Familiarizing myself with Scottish writers and meeting local folk, I would love to tour the countryside and check out the beautiful castle of Edinburgh. Have you been to Scotland? What are you recommendations and suggestions for traveling there?
Do you know these five facts about Scotland?
1. The official animal of Scotland is the unicorn.
2. Scotland has approximately 790 islands, 130 of which are inhabited.
3. It is home to the oldest tree in Europe, a twisted yew which has stood in Fortingall for 3,000 years. According to local legend, Pontius Pilate was born in its shade and played there as a child.
4. The raincoat was invented in1824 in Scotland by Charles Macintosh, a chemist born in Glasgow.
5. The very first recorded appearance of the elusive Loch Ness Monster occurred in 565 AD, when a " water beast " attacked one of St. Columba's followers in the loch.