Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Librarian Suggests




What I'm Reading: 
Compensating a little for not really reading last month, I read six very different books. I started with a short story by J.D. Salinger, The Girl I KnewA little difficult to find (because it doesn't appear in any of his short story collections), I had to really put my degree to use to find a copy.  First published in 1948 as the feature story in Good Housekeeping, this story was both haunting and beautiful. A young American boy traveling to Europe for work befriends his neighbor's daughter, a romance quickly blossoms but just as fast has it started, the two are torn apart by marriage and World War II. If you've never heard of this story, I bet you have heard of this quote, "She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there, leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together." Such a profound and powerful statement, Salinger definitely ranks as a top three author, I find most all of his work exhilarating. I also read The Bad-ass Librarians of TimbuktuLive Alone and Like ItThe Ocean at the End of the Lane and The Big LifeFor the adventurer and historian (to learn about the complicated past and present of the Middle East), you are in for a treat and a wild ride in The Librarians of Timbuktu. For further reading, The Storied Life is also an excellent choice. The goddess and Queen Bee herself, Majorie Hillis wrote a hilarious etiquette/how-to, if.../guide to life for the single woman in Live Alone and Like It. I could not stop laughing while also seriously taking notes on how to live my life to the fullest and how to embrace myself. There are basically no words for The Ocean at the End of the LaneI mean everyone knows Neil Gaiman is a master at storytelling, you can just tell that this guy loves books. A beautiful story about childhood, magic and how a duck pond can be an ocean. And lastly, The Big Life. Ann Shoket is the epitome of life goals. The ultimate badass babe, she teaches you how to embrace who you are and to shoot for the stars.  

What I'm Watching: 
Lady Gaga: Five Foot Two - an absolute must for any Gaga Fan. 
And I have been since the beginning. 
Jerry Before SeinfeldReminiscing over my favorite evening hanging out at the comic strip. 
Note to Self: go to more comedy shows! 
Broad City + The Mindy ProjectBoth shows are back for a new season! 

What I'm Listening Too:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...