Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Librarian Suggests

Sarah's Bookshelf: 
Like last year, one of my resolutions (I prefer intentions to resolutions) was to read more. This year, I'm expanding upon that and trying to read more diversely, not just across genres but cultures and authors as well. So let's see how well I do throughout the year. 

Orchids on Your Budget by Majorie HillisMajorie Hillis, the name is somewhat new to me. I discovered her first book, Live Alone and Like It randomly last year. I read it in two evenings and immediately needed to know more about her. An alum of Miss Dana's School for Young Ladies, she went on to pursue a career as an editor at Vogue and became somewhat of a guru to single ladies at the turn of the century. Needless to say even though she passed in 1971, she has become sort of a life coach to me. In the same writing style and the follow up to Live Alone and Like ItOrchids On Your Budget is another how to/guide to living within your budget. Live chicly but cheaply!

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: I don't even know where to begin with this book other than it is a masterpiece. Maybe I feel this way because I grew up with a brother who lived during the eighties and I was heavily influenced by his lifestyle. I'm also addicted to every teen movie (I'm a sucker for John Hughes movies) made in the 80s. Hello Christina Applegate in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead or Robyn Lively in Teen Witch, don't even get me started on Back to the FutureThe Gooniesor Indiana Jones. Books, movies, music and video games, you name it I know more than most kids born in '87 should know about that decade. I am very excited for the movie, but the book - it is pure magic!

3 Strange Tales by Ryunosuke Akutagawa: Considered the father of Japanese Short Stories, Ryunosuke was a prolific and very accomplished writer. Plagued with mental illness, he unfortunately took his own life at just 35 years old. Although his life was cut short, he had written over a hundred short stories before the time of his death making him an important writer in Japanese Literature! A beautiful writer, Three Strange Tales combines elements of religion, history, mysticism and Japanese mythology into this collection. These twisted tales feature a martyr, a thief, a murderer and a witch. If you like Japanese Horror films, this is a great introduction if you are new to reading Japanese Literature.

What I've Been Watching:
Before I started watching Grace and Frankie, it would have been smart to watch 9 to 5, or so my mom says. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are quite the pair in the Netflix original show. Their chemistry is everything. I hope to not only have a friendship like Grace and Frankie, I hope to be Frankie Bergstein. While Lily Tomlin consistently makes me laugh until my stomach hurts, when Jane Fonda is in point she is fire and slightly resembles my own mother. What have you been watching? 

What I've Been Listening Too: 
The Bright Sessions - Just as much as I want to live in the world Ernest Cline created with Ready Player One, I am so consumed by the story line in The Bright Sessions Podcast. A fictional show involving therapy sessions for people with special abilities, like empaths, telepaths, time-travelers, mind controllers and more. It took me a couple years but now I can't get enough of Dr. Bright or her patients. I will most likely feel how I felt when I caught up in real time with Game of Thrones, having to wait when I catch up to the latest season, I won't be able to handle it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...