Wednesday, July 17, 2013

To The Mosque

Being a lover of history you would understand the excitement that came over me when Maria Rosa Menocal came to speak at my college after writing her latest book, The Ornament of the World, an account that focuses on the religious tolerance during Medieval Spain between the Muslims, Christians and Jews. Before her passing (only last year), I was lucky enough to hear her speak on her previous works about Spanish history, culture and the importance religion played in Spain. I quickly became intrigued and completely fascinated with this time period and what it was like to live in a society where religion was in constant collision with political leaders and religious groups trying to take over regions in the country. It was then I became enamored with the cathedrals and mosques in Cordoba and have ever since dreamed of one day stepping into these grand and eerily majestic wonders. I have promised myself that one day I will make it, so I can see before my very own eyes these buildings that stood here hundreds of years ago.    

(image via fodors)

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing photography. This world is filled with so much creativity. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...