Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Girl Talk

Back in late July, I hinted at a possible new series centered on topics and discussions that would be inviting, comfortable, casual and hopefully interesting enough for any and all women to gather around and share each other's experiences. So that is exactly where we will begin, I know it may be early in the day for most people, but for every "Girl Talk," I hope to hear how your day went (on a personal level and about your job), all the accomplishments and positive outcomes of your workday as well as the challenges you faced. 

When I graduated from college back in 2011, I left full of ambition, independence and ready to take on whatever the world had in store for me. I moved to New York and spent my mornings in Bryant Park watching women in suits walking the streets with tunnel vision of success and empowerment. In those moments I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life but I knew I wanted to make a difference and listen to all the greats on how to be career driven and successful. At first I only thought of jobs that offered really high salaries instead of what I was really passionate about until I walked the halls of a library of all places. Now I was extremely fortunate that I had an extensive amount of time to get to know myself out of college and in between jobs. I let my mind wander, I explored and allowed myself to be curious. I learned what I was actually good at and found a passion. With time to myself, encouragement and yes a little treating myself, I learned about the importance of having a relationship with yourself. It may sound strange and even a little selfish. I find it a crucial part of living, something we all need a little more of.

As a part of a generation full of young professional woman, I look around and see friends who are getting married and starting families and I can't help but to feel selfish because my mind is in school, my career, finding balance and the relationship and friendships I have. I've grown up reading history books where women were the underdog and look up to those who fought hard and won their battles. I am not an extreme feminist and I will never try persuade your opinion on anything. I'm here to listen, because your voice is the most powerful gift.  As an advocate for self love, I'm here to encourage you to be the best person you can be through simple and healthy avenues, I am not here to promote arrogance or pride. I'm here to listen to your stories and share them. But I would like to share this link with you :)

(image via her new tribe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...