Thursday, February 25, 2016

Packing Lunch

When it comes to lunch ideas for the work week, I'm horrible about planning in advance. I usually only pack small snacks or pick up something close by when I'm on break. Now that I'm trying to be more health conscious and not have to rely on pick up orders, I make the effort of actually packing my lunch and this smashed chickpea, avocado and pesto salad sandwich is first on the list to make.

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large ripe avocado
2 tablespoons of Basil Pesto
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Sal and pepper, to taste
Multi-grain Bread
Spinach leaves


Directions:
1. Place the chickpeas on a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and remove the outer skins. Roll them around a bit and they will come off easily. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas and avocado. Smash with a fork until well combined. it is ok if some of the chickpeas are chunk. Stir in pesto and fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Spread chickpea salad on bread slices and top with spinach leaves. Cut sandwich in half and service.

Note: Look for Spinach Basil Pesto at the store.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...