Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fresh Start, Take Two or Three...

Six way to a healthier and better you.

1. Become aware of your breath. Meditation is really a great thing, even if you only have a few minutes. During the work day, I allow myself five to seven minutes to close my eyes and focus on my breath. I usually do this the last ten minutes of my break and by then I'm ready to get back to work.

2. Pay closer attention to what you eat. When you give a plant water or feed your animal, you're providing them with the best nutrition so they live a long healthy life. So why don't we have this same mentality when it comes to feeding ourselves? Eat on a regular basis and be a litte picky, choose slower to digest whole grains and lighter meats.

3. Just move it. When talking with friends, significant others and family about dieting and exercising, I often find that the immediate reaction is "what exercise, I don't want to exercise".  We fixate on this word and turn it into this negative thing. Any physical movement is better than nothing, so if that means walking around the colsdsac for ten minutes, walking your dogs, or cleaning the house, it all helps!

4. Sleep is key. There's nothing more healthy than getting the right amount of sleep, even if your one of those people who can survive on very little sleep. You should be sleeping seven hours at night, seven and half to eight is really choice. I'll be the first to say I look forward to getting in my covers at night and when my alarm goes off at six the next morning, I'm awake and ready for the day to start.

5. Think about it. Often times what we think we're craving doesn't always produce the feeling we're hoping for. So the next time you think you're craving a candy bar, are you really satisfied after eating it, usually or not. So think twice!

6.Self-forgiveness. Instead of avoiding feelings of anger, stress or disappointment because of mistakes we've made or from falling into bad habits, let yourself listen and achkowledge those feelings, even journal them if it helps. If you continue to put them aside, you'll end up having a melt down (this is happens to me on somewhat of a regular basis) or taking it out on someone else. Remember the ultimate goal and figure out how to get back on track. You're your own best friend.


4 comments:

  1. love this. What a beautiful outlook to bring in the New Year, hope it was fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and inspiring post. I especially love #6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! This may sound weird but I kept a craving journal for a month ~ looking for patterns and kept notes about satisfactions, etc. It worked pretty well...often I'd only eat a bite or two of whatever I was craving also it's a good thing to keep around for future cravings.

    ♥ Shia

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all the comments...I forgot to say...

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ♥ Shia

    ReplyDelete

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...