Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Librarian Suggests



Last month was like a reading epiphany for me, Material Girl, Mystical World by Ruby Warrington was kind of life changing and Still Writing by Dani Shapiro was certainly needed. I've been toying with the idea of writing a book lately, I mean I've been writing since the second grade and my computer from college has archives of stories wanting to be bound. Still Writing is a story about love and pain, it's a writer's obsession with the written word, more importantly it's about life. It's filled with memorable quotes you need to keep on hand, always. The amount of research and patience... I basically want to scream from the rooftops, this book is life!!! And I know as a librarian it is not ok to dogear pages but I couldn't help it, there were so many ideas, quotes, and other writers mentioned that I need to remember. Also, you have to read the novella, The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster. He's famous for A Passage to India and A Room With A View (which I have not read) but a few weeks ago a fellow bibliophile I follow on social media was reading this and I had to know more. It actually predicts the future and by the future, I mean now! A story about humanity living underground and being completely dependent on a machine (just think of the modern day computer while reading this and you'll agree with me by the end, hopefully). So to answer the question, should we stop the machine? I would have to agree with Kuno... Also you should listen to the review Jade and I did on The Babysitter by R.L. Stine (@thelibrarianssuggest). And after reading the picture book Quest for Z by Greg Pizzoli and the latest in The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, I need to read (and watch) the new film, The Lost City of Z and The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage.

(images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading Ladies

Five Things to Know About Bernadette Marie: 1. Trained and completed two degrees, an AAS in Communication Design and BFA in Textile S...